Friday, March 22, 2013

How to be a Yachtie | Part 1

This is the first part in a series of posts I will be writing about being a crew member on Super Yachts. 


What is the view from your desk? This is mine.


Three years ago I was making packing lists in my bedroom in South Africa, I was about to leave home for the first time and not just move into my own apartment but move overseas. I didn’t know how long for and I didn’t really know specifically where. Well I had a place to stay but my ultimate goal was to climb aboard a big old yacht and start traveling around earning some money and meeting new people.

My first yacht and it's sports fishing boat, Highbourne Cay, Bahamas

Miraculously I achieved this within a week of arriving in America. A year later I met my husband and today I just can’t believe the lovely journey I have been on.

My best friend came to the industry a little after me and we bump into each other in various places around the world, it is all far too exciting. I have advised so many people on how to get started in yachting and all the necessary things you need to have in order before you leave your hometown for what could be three months or thirteen years, so I thought I would put it all in writing in one place. It will save my fingers and my sanity.

I will post an installment every week and you are more than welcome to comment / tweet me for any extra bits you would like to know.

UPDATE: Read Part 2 here

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML/Java Script

Mandy at Sea Follow my blog with Bloglovin