Sunday, March 17, 2013

Traveling? Read This for some Fancy Tips.



Airports. Wow. Have you ever been more competitive in your life? I haven’t. I was on my school swimming team and I didn’t compete with as much heart as I do at the airport. I MUST be the best traveller, other than George Clooney in that movie.

I roll my eyes at people who cannot perform the quick remove shoes, belt, watch, jacket maneuver like I can. I tut furiously at those who do not remove their laptops and liquids. “No ma’am, you cannot bring your soda through.” Facepalm. Seriously, facepalm.

I get so caught up in it too. So caught up. And angry. I know I shouldn’t, I always find other people’s airport stories a little tiresome so I do understand that I shouldn’t be banging on about my own but I have a blog now so there you go.

Anyway, I travel a fair amount so I thought I would share some of the things I do that I have found useful.

-       Don’t take a wheely bag as your carry on luggage. Wheely bags are good for one thing, wide smooth airport floors. Once you are out of the airport and having to navigate uneven sidewalks and stairs you are SOL. Carrying them through airplane aisles is another fun time. Look back and see how many people you have concussed on the way to your seat. I use a bag from eBags called the Motherlode TLS Weekender, it is amazing, you can check it or carry it on. I will do a formal review of it soon.

-       Don’t stress yourself out (rich coming from me). Make sure you arrive early for your flight, resign yourself to the fact that a travel day is a waiting around day. When I fly home I travel for around 30 hours so arriving an extra hour early is not too much of a sacrifice. If you are on time and you are where you should be in the airport then you will never run the risk of being that muppet who holds up the plane. Also, you cannot control airplane delays, you can control personal delays. Get it together.

-       Flat shoes please ladies! I don’t care how adept you are at walking in high heels, I don’t need you teetering around in front of me. I advise wearing shoes with socks so when you have to take them off at security your feet don’t actually touch the yucky floor. Shoes you can slip on and off are great, I usually wear flat booties, they take a little while to get back on but there are little chairs and benches just beyond security where you can sit and reassess your life for a bit. No need to get flustered.

-       This is my getting through the gate routine: Take two containers and place laptop and document folder in one (they get snotty if you cover your laptop with stuff), place scarf, jacket, shoes, watch, belt and liquids bag in the other. Place bag on conveyer belt in front of containers. Keep your eyes on the officials at all times, don’t move until they have told you to. Stand in whatever retarded pose they want you to stand in. Usually it involves making a diamond shape above your head. Collect all your belongings and carry them to the little chairs / benches so you are not crowding the security area. Get dressed.

-       While you are waiting at your boarding gate / the bar / Starbucks do yourself a favour and make a ‘take to your seat’ bag. Mine includes an iPad, iPod, phone, extra socks, water (from beyond security ß sneaky tip), Noise cancelling headphones, eye shades and a pen. Always take a pen. I put all of this is a little shopping bag, those canvas ones you get, and carry it separately. When we get to our seat my husband will just place our carry ons into the overhead bin and we will sit down with all the bits and pieces we need for a happy flight and minimal time spent blocking up the aisle.

-       Carry antibacterial wipes. I put these in my ‘take to your seat’ bag as well, I also have face wipes and wet wipes. Plane bathrooms are vomit inducing to put it mildly. I know it is anal and OCD but I will Clorox everything around me. Call me what you wish. Wet Ones come in handy after mealtimes when the bathroom queue is long and the stewardesses are still patrolling the aisles. Those Crest Wisp disposable toothbrushes are pretty good too, don’t use them instead of brushing your teeth but if there is a queue / the person next to you is sleeping it is better than hanging around with a dirty mouth.

-       Be quiet, the last time I flew I had just managed to dose off and the lady next to me struck up a really loud conversation with someone across the plane and she was talking about me! Not rudely, but still. Just use your inside voice. This comes in handy when you don’t want to get slapped in the face with a meal tray.

-       Drink water. We each buy a 1.5l bottle from one of the little stores beyond the security gate and finish it. Flying is very dehydrating and the food they give you has a really high sodium content. Drink water. Also, I will almost always have a sneaky beer before I fly but I rarely ever imbibe on the plane.

-       If you are flying long haul and you are a poor sleeper then take sleeping tablets. Some people are fine with the over the counter types, I prefer to get a prescription because I wake up refreshed and rested, not grumpy and looking like Gollum. If you are taking prescription medication carry the script with you and definitely don’t drink. You will be a hot mess.

-       Once you have landed and the doors are open, sit. My husband taught me this one. Disembarkation is such a mission if you try to be the first person off. You stand for at least 10 minutes before the line moves and then you have to fuss about in the overhead locker. No. Just sit and wait for a lull, then leave. Best advice ever.

-       American airports are have a Smart e-Cart system which basically means you pay for a trolley that you are not really allowed to take in certain areas and you only get your money back at the little station where they are all kept which is not central by any stretch of the imagination. If you can carry your bags then do. We carry duffel bags, my next purchase will be a wheely duffel bag so once I am out the airport I can sling it over my shoulder and not worry about the devil curbs.

-       Guess how many black and blue bags there are on a carousel? A million. Fact. Guess how many red bags there are? Also a million. People buy red and pink bags because they think, ‘OOH, I am so smart, I will see this from a mile away.’ Everyone does it. Mark your bags distinctly, my Granny made me pompoms one year and I tied those to the handle. Another thing is 95% of the time (my statistic and figures are all totally accurate <- Foul lie) your bag will come through upside down. It’s like the baggage handler’s cruel joke. Don’t crowd the carousel, don’t climb on the carousel, if you are travelling with someone then elect one of you to stand at the carousel. Don’t make things difficult. Please.

-       Finally, have a plan. Never get to an airport and think, ‘Ok well I will just take a cab. ‘ If you know where you are going and what to expect then you cannot be swindled. If you are being picked up by someone then that is great but if not then be smart. Find out where your accommodation is in relation to the airport. Google map it before you leave. If there is a hotel shuttle, great, if not well then you may have to take a cab. Sometimes you have to take a little train, there is usually somebody on hand to help you with that. When in doubt ask the cleaning staff, security are snotty and awful, the information people are usually bored and over it but the cleaning staff know the airport well and are always happy to help.

Be smart, travel safe and be aware. Oh and shop Duty Free!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML/Java Script

Mandy at Sea Follow my blog with Bloglovin