Friday, March 15, 2013

NEEDTOBREATHE | Quick Review



I don’t know how it happened but my husband and I somehow developed a small obsession with country music late last year. So much so that our first dance was Then by Brad Paisley. I have always preferred artists / bands with strong vocal and musical talents and I found that most country singers and musicians have just that. Their sound is something I want to hug, it is comforting and nostalgic and stirs up all sorts of emotions. More than that it makes me want to BE all southern.

Buy it now! 


I came across NEEDTOBREATHE when I was in the UK and yearning for America (I love the UK but I do miss the States when I am not in them) someone on my Pinterest page posted a video of the band performing live. I am not sure why I clicked it but boy am I glad I did. What a treat for my ears.

They are not a strictly country outfit although I would say that their southern – rock sound is country influenced and sometimes slightly bluesy. The songs are mature, quotable, Bruce Springsteen-y (less cheese than Springsteen). The lyrics are fantastic, they urge you to emote, they transport you into the music and cajole your senses until you are surprised to look down and find you are not in boot and blue jeans.

NEEDTOBREATHE have been together for a while now, they released their first album in 2001, their latest album, The Reckoning, was released in 2012.

I have seen the band perform live and I can say with confidence that they are one of the best live acts ever. In the world. Quote me on that, I have seen a lot of world. It was like they just got up from around a campfire somewhere and walked onto the stage. They played with passion and charisma. The music was powerful, the vocals were amazing. Rich and warm. Lovely. 

Do yourself a big old favour and listen to Drive All Night.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML/Java Script

Mandy at Sea Follow my blog with Bloglovin