Monday, March 11, 2013

On Essie and Sinful Colors (Colours)



It took me a really long time to write / come to terms with how I would write colours. Before I start I will present my quandary: EVERY English speaking person in the entire world spells colour like I just spelled it there, however Americans don’t understand the ‘ou’ part so they went on a ‘u’ culling spree. I am surprised they even spell our correctly but they do so there you go, taking one of the most complicated languages and making it that much more difficult.

Now growing up in South Africa, which is more Eurocentric than you may think, yes we do use giraffes instead of elevators and most houses (mud huts) come with a pride of Lions as a security measure (Wild Dogs for the less affluent – Lions are pricey) nevertheless we do enjoy the odd espresso and we like the ‘u’. I was always dead set against converting to American spelling because I thought Americans were inherently wrong about most things, they are, but I live there now and I must assimilate, if you hear me speak you can barely tell where I am from. I am a mutt.

So there we go, I assimilated but through clever use of parenthesis I showed everyone I still know how to spell and before I break out into a chorus of Rule Britannia I will actually start writing about what I initially intended to. Nail Polish. Not spelling.

Here we go.

I am an Essie snob. I love Essie, Essie make my favourite colours, (look at all the u’s! – Word HATES me! Big red squiggles abound!) granted some are more pigmented than others and some require more than two coats but I actually don’t care. I am brand loyal. Now I am mainly living on a boat and when I am not living on a boat my life must be able to be packed into two small (like carry on small) bags so I can’t have a large variety of nail polish. It hurts my heart but there you go. The sea is a cruel mistress. I tend to carry about 10 colours at a time, also a base and two top coats (one fast drying and one matte). I will review all my colours in a later post.

There is one thing that can get me out of snob land though, one thing does entice me to climb down from my throne and get my nose out of the air. Bargains. I am a bargain magnet too, I will walk into a store and the bargains will all go, “Heeeeeee!!!” and leap into my outstretched arms. This normally happens with clothes though, mainly because I prefer shopping for clothes and usually get all my cosmetic products online. I love the rush of online shopping.

Anyway, yesterday I decided to go aimlessly walk around Walgreens because I didn’t really have anything else to do. There I was, nose in the air off to the Essie section to buy something very bright and I noticed a red square under the Sinful Colors stand. Red squares mean “buy me I am cheap I will give you a rush because I am cheap”. I will make you feel like a good, smart shopper. How could I resist?

Turns out I couldn’t and I bought the shade Orange Cream. I would call it The Colour of that Antibiotic Medicine I had that One Time. I only needed one coat of colour (I used an Essie base coat and a Rimmel top coat – matte) I am impressed. I feel like a good, smart shopper. Thank you red square and thank you Sinful Colors. Your brand name is lame but your product is good!

Sinful Colors in Orange Cream #notanailartist #dealwithit

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML/Java Script

Mandy at Sea Follow my blog with Bloglovin