Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pedicures at Home | Pretty Feet for ALL!


If you work on a yacht you will understand the term “Yachtie Feet”. If you do not work on a yacht I will elaborate slightly for you benefit, perhaps you will be able to relate and then we can all work to solve the problem.

There is a blanket ‘no shoes on boats’ rule, some captains do relax it and some owners prefer the crew to wear deck shoes, but for the most part we go barefoot. Now in my experience the wealthier you are the colder you like to be, consequently, the poor stews run around all day in the freezing, dehydrating AC. If that isn’t the case then we are running Margaritas up and down the unforgiving teak decks. As a result our feet get very dry and sore quickly. We can’t have horrible looking feet particularly if they are on display all the time, it is a big problem.

Most stews jump at the chance to rush off the boat as soon as the guests have boarded their flight home to get pedicures and rectify this. I cannot think of anything worse. I have really tried hard to like them but the thought of putting my feet into a bath where other people have had their feet is none to appealing. I also cannot abide other people clipping my toenails and cuticles. I am fussy that way. Also I feel I can do a better job. I will tell you how.

Now, due to a lack of time and space I usually do several beauty processes at the same time. Face masks and foot soaking will generally happen at the same time. It is magical. I lock myself in the bathroom with my iPod and book and when I come out I am just a ball of glorious.

Epsom Salts, Apple Cider Vinegar and Tea Tree Oil. Can't beat them.

Anyway, ignore the face stuff for now. Here is what you will need:

-       Tub / basin / bucket big enough for you to immerse both your feet in water
-       Apple cider vinegar
-       Epsom salts
-       Tea tree oil
-       Sugar scrub (make your own or use a store bought one)
-       Pumice stone / Foot file
-       Cuticle pushing back thing
-       Nail brush
-       Nail clippers
-       Towel and paper towel
-       Some sort of lotion

Nivea Creme is my current favourite moisturizer. You can apply it to any dry areas , like elbows and knees


Fill the tub with hot water, not too hot but it will cool rapidly so try start out with it being as hot as you can handle. Add a cup of apple cider vinegar (you can use white distilled vinegar too), half a cup of Epsom salts and a couple of drops of tea tree oil. The vinegar will work at breaking down rough skin, the Epsom salts are great for soothing aches and pains and also assist in drawing nasty toxins out of your system and the tea tree is a natural anti bacterial oil that smells really refreshing too.

Soak your feet for 15 minutes and then use a pumice stone or foot file to gently removed any dry skin you may have, you shouldn’t need to scrub too hard because the vinegar will have loosened the skin. Finish off by scrubbing your feet with a sugar scrub. I will usually go all the way up my calves to help out my circulation a bit. Then push your cuticles back, I am not a fan of cutting my cuticles at all, they are there for a reason, don’t hack them off.

Dry your feet thoroughly, use the paper towel to get in between your toes. Once your feet are nice and dry apply a nice thick cream or lotion, in the past I have used body butter but at the moment I am loving Nivea Crème, my mom (and her mom) swear by Ingrams Camphor Cream, treat yourself to an extra long foot rub, you deserve it. If you need to clip your nails then do so, once you have done that put a pair of thick socks on and relax. Your feet will be softer than ever.

I will usually apply polish (a nude shade mind you, unless your guests are off for a while) the next day to give my feet an extra dose of moisture, if you need to apply sooner though wipe the nails with a little rubbing alcohol to get rid of the oils and moisturizer so you have a lovely fresh, dry surface to apply the polish to.

Enjoy it

xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML/Java Script

Mandy at Sea Follow my blog with Bloglovin