Monday, March 18, 2013

BH Cosmetics California Collection | Review and Pictures


I think we have reached a stage in our lives where there are so many ‘quintessential’ items to own. It used to be a case of not being able to leave the house without first popping a lipstick / mascara / powder into our handbags and has gradually moved on to carrying a mini make up kit at all times. There is no reason we shouldn’t always be looking painted and glorious or why we shouldn’t be able to fix our make up in little compact mirrors while waiting for someone in a coffee shop. Combination make up palettes have become increasingly popular over the last few years and I normally shun them in preference of separates but upon consideration they make a very good addition to my little make up collection.

My life at sea requires that I be compact in every sense of the word, compact and versatile, at any given moment my life needs to be packed in two small bags and can change completely in twenty four hours or less. One day I may be sailing around the Bahamas and the next I may be on an airplane to France. Exciting yes but not very conducive to carrying massive amount of make up about. On top of that my husband (while coming around slightly) still retains the instincts one can only develop growing up with 5 brothers.  Act fast, pack light and don’t forget your bow an arrow. If we are going away for a weekend and my cosmetics bag is as big as his entire bag I know I have failed. I always start off determined and then end up packing my shoes and hairdryer in his bag. 

For me then, compact make up palettes are a really good buy, it makes looking like a princess simple when you are in actual fact a sailor.

Now, this is sort of a kill two birds with one stone purchase, I bought the California Collection palettes from BH Cosmetics. Here’s why, BH Cosmetics pop up ads were always coming up on pages I visited. I know their company is similar in many ways to Coastal Scents and they are ok, I had never tried them though, I couldn't really find too many compelling reviews online (didn't look hard to be honest) so I thought I would give them a go. I understand you get what you pay for and seeing as most of their palettes are between $10 and $25 you don’t expect a whole lot. I was pleasantly surprised

BH California Collection San Francisco and Malibu

(top) BH Cosmetics California Collection San Francisco (bottom) BH Cosmetics California Collection Malibu

I bought the Malibu and San Francisco palettes, aren’t they just so cute? There is another palette, Hollywood, but I decided to try their eye shadow singles instead. The colours don’t have names, just little codes but they make it pretty easy for you to choose them, you select from Warm Matte, Warm Shimmer, Cool Matte, Cool Shimmer, Metallic Matte and Metallic Shimmer.


Working left to right the shades are CS3, CS8, CM8, CS9, WM20, WM4

The colour payoff is mainly excellent but, as I always find with brands of this ilk, you get a couple of dud ones. I have tested the colours I bought individually and I tested the ones in the little palettes I was most likely to use regularly and they were all great. You do get a little bit of fallout but, meh, what are you going to do. Jump up and down and cry about it? No, you just bought 20 eye shadows, 2 blushes, a highlighter and a contour powder for $10.

I used the blue shades from the Malibu palette when I went to dinner the other night, they went on well, blended easily and still looked good when I went to take my make up off.

$10 for something that is going to reduce the amount of make up I weekend away with by like 95%, yes. I can deal. Also, I can now fit my shoes and hairdryer into my own bag. Independent woman over here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML/Java Script

Mandy at Sea Follow my blog with Bloglovin